mardi 5 octobre 2010

Letter 57

Hi Dad!
How are you? I miss you. I'm exhausted. I have never in my whole life had a more packed weekend as this one. It's not normal. So let me start from the beginning.
Friday night: School as usual (as of not long ago unfortunately) The three last periods i have spanish and two free periods (cool no?) So my spanish teacher decides that we should watch The Sound Of Music in spanish. You would think i was weird to see Julie Andrews would look weird speaking spanish but no. As crazy as it may seem the dubbing is great. All the songs are in spanish and they're very well made. After half of sound of music the next two periods we were to watch a movie about Nelson Mandala. I would tell you it's title but i don't remember... And no i can't look it up on IMDB because we don't have internet. AGAIN. But i know that Denzel Washington plays Mandala
It's become a nuisance the DSL. One minute it works the next Bbrrrtttt NO MORE INTERNET!
Back to Friday... After school i went to Loulwa's house and stayed there with Nour & Marie (the Khater Twins, remember them?) We talked a lot about interesting stuff like saving humanity and trips to Africa. I'm not kidding. Then at around 7-ish we left and walked to The Shop that Loulwa owns. It's such a nice place really and it serves the best brownies ever created on this planet. Ok moving on or else I'll keep on going with the richness of the Beydoun Brownies (BB haha!)
Oh right i forgot you don't know the BB craze!! Let me fill you in. It's the worst creation ever created. Which can be proven with the fact that it's banned in certain countries like Dubai and Saudi Arabia. So the point of this new "application" on the blackberry is that if you pay 40$ a month you can send unlimited messages to other BBM (a.k.a blackberry Messenger) users for free. Yes  you heard me correctly. Add 600$ phone + unlimited chatting - augmenting cost + snobby teenagers = No more life. I swear in class you don't need to tear papers and write notes and fling them to your friends you do it directly by BBM. Need to say something to the person sitting to seats to you right during a movie no need to whisper just text it! And imagine the same solution everywhere in any situation. Imagine you're talking to a person and their phone vibrates bzzzz bye-bye real conversation. All kind of physical interaction with society is slowly deteriorating and disappearing. It's the ugly truth about the blackberry.
Sorry, back to friday night. At 7, and hour and a half early to the surprise birthday dinner we walk around downtown  talk some more, go to virgin and have a laugh. We go back to the restaurant. And then Coky the two week early birthday girl comes and gets surprised by all of us and the rest is cliche. I come back home by taxi.
Next is Saturday the longest day of all: I wake up at 8am. Get dressed and mum drops me off at Battouta Film  Studios where i start the first day of the two week long workshop. The whole think is about learning how to make a 3-4 minute video/documentary. It was very informative and fun. It ended at around 5:50 PM. I go to Loulwa's where i meet Maylis and we go to Loulwa's exhibition. There was a contest in partnership with Lomography and two of Loulwa's pictures got accepted. It was super fun. It was on the rooftop of the old sugar refinery on the seaside road behind Gean. There was massive wind so i felt like Marlin Monroe. My skirt was everywhere! Haha. There was a man dressed as a pixie and he was throwing glitter in the air. You know the fine glitter that sticks to your skin and never comes off? Yeah in blue. So here we all were glittered and covered from head to toe. I HATE GLITTER. Anywhoo next we left at aaround 8:30 mum picked us up and dropped us off at a girl from my school's house she was celebrating her birthday. It sucked. The music was rubbish, the atmosphere was ew, no one was dancing... On top of all that i was in a bad mood to begin with. I really get tired sometimes when i always have to be the responsible one... I slept though the whole taxi ride back and went to sleep as soon as i finished putting on my PJs.
The Next day was Day 2 of workshop where we learned how to use the phone that was given to us. The new Nokia N8 i think. A really cool  device with a 12 MegaPixel camera etc... We shot a short scene. Man it took us over half an hour to film a ultra-short scene. We had about 3 minutes of footage to end up with a 10 second video. The day dragged on then i walked from Geitawi to ABC ashrafiyeh to meet up with Mum and Nicole. They were having dinner i bought three books and we came back home.
Wow this letter was long. I'm sorry i should have written sooner. I didn't know i had so much to say.
I'll write sooner promise.
I miss you immensely.
I kiss you so much.
And squeeze you hard
I Love you daddy.
xxx