lundi 12 avril 2010

Letter 41

Hi Dad!
How are you? I’m exhausted. My Easter vacation was extended till tomorrow. So today is my last day of vacation. Do you know why they let me and 5 other friends miss school? Because of MUN. You remember I told you about it? The Model United Nations? Well this whole weekend was the final conference and it was so tiring. So we were divided into our comities I was in HRC (Human Rights Council) and we had religious intolerance as a topic we had to debate and discuss about. You see my luck? The worst. And I represented Djibouti (an Islamic country in the horn of Africa). So the topic I get is only subject I really despise. And it’s not like anyone is going to be WITH religious intolerance. So there wasn’t really a debate. But it was a good experience.
The first day I was seated next to a friend (he represented Finland and we were seated alphabetically) so it wasn’t that bad. But it was a LONG day. We all went to LAU in JBEIL. So I had to wake up at 6 leave at 6:30 be at school at 7, to arrive to LAU at 8. Not the best way you want to wake up on a weekend. So as unorganized Lebanese people are there was a problem with the classes so wee ended up starting at 10. From 12 to 1 was our lunch brake than from 1 to 4 we were back in class. then there was the global village but we didn’t assist we all wanted to go back home. The next day was practically the same. But we started at 9:30. But instead of the global village we had to go to UNESCO to get out certificate and awards. That lasted 2 long hours but I was between friends so it wasn’t that bad.
You know what was quite funny? The difference between our school and my friends’ school. They had an adviser and two teachers assist them from the very beginning. My school, the student adviser actually asked us: what Is MUN? And we were alone since day one. We had to register on our own and keep in contact with the bus while keeping track were was everyone and making sure we didn’t forget anyone behind and all. The MUN advisers and secretaries were quite surprised when we told them we needed help seeing we didn’t have an adviser of our own. The teachers from the other schools made sure every student did their work and kept encouraging them. We felt we just had to be there and we really weren’t serious during the whole thing. But it’s over and we are all glad.
I send you my love and kisses
Your daughter that misses you deeply